The first arc of Gotham Academy has concluded (get all the issues here at comiXology), and we’ve quickly fallen in love with this cast, including secret-burdened Olive Silverlock, energetic Maps Mizoguchi, snarky Pomeline Fritch, suave Colton Rivera, and silently hunky Kyle Mizoguchi. Here are 6 moments we loved from the first 6 issues:
1. Colton Rivera hustling fireworks in the cafeteria, until Olive knocks over his bag and gets him in trouble. (issue #1)
2. Pomeline and Heathcliff’s PDA before class. (issue #2)
Pomeline has the best fashion in this series, and Kerschl highlights the details of her look in this scene: rings, spike necklace, dark nail polish, awesome boots.
3. Maps sneaking up on Colton to deliver a secret note when he’s underneath a car. (issue #3)
4. Olive and Kyle finally talk! On a dock. Under perfect romantic soft lighting. (issue #3)
5. Olive standing up to Batman and defending Croc. (issue #6)
Stigmatization of mental illness is a real-life issue that Cloonan and Fletcher translate perfectly to the world of Gotham Academy. Can we appreciate how moving Olive and Croc’s scenes together are? I’m not crying, you’re crying.
6. Olive and Maps reuniting after the North Hall collapses and Olive disappears. (issue #6)
The heart and soul of this book is Olive and Maps’ friendship, especially Maps’ unabashed devotion to Olive.
What was your favorite moment in Gotham Academy #1-6?